Donate a Car

In Washington, there is a multitude of charities to choose from if you're interested in donating your vehicle. Choosing a charity can take some time. Salvation Army and Goodwill are two of the largest charities that accept vehicle donations in WA. If you prefer to aid a local charity though, consider which causes you support. Narrow down your list and then search for charities in the area that work for that cause. Once you know where you want your car to go:

First verify that vehicles are acceptable donations. They will need to be classified as an IRS-approved, 501(c)(3) organization.

Once confirmed, drive the vehicle to their headquarters, and transfer the vehicle title to the charity. Do not leave that space blank, and report the title transfer to the DOL.

It is vital to maintain a paper trail because eventually, you will want to deduct the donation from your taxes. In order to do so, the charity must give you a bill of sale and a copy of a title change.

If your vehicle is worth more the $500, attach an IRS Form 8283 to your tax filing. A tax filing will need outside appraisal it the vehicle is worth more than $5,000.

It is important to remember that under no circumstances may you accept any goods or services in exchange for your donation. In doing so, you void the donation and cannot make a tax deduction.