Washington Transfer Car Title

Do you need to transfer your car title in Washington? If a WA car title is currently in your name, but should be amended, learn more about the process and get started by following the steps below.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Application assistance services can simplify the process for many DOL related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DOL in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DOL.

3: Via a DOL office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local DOL office. Varying DOL offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DOL closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your DOL allows you to make a personal appointment.

The buyer has to transfer the car title into their name within 15 days of buying it from a private party, or receiving the car as a gift.

Bring with you person to your local DOL:

  • Vehicle Certificate of Ownership (title) The previous owner signed it over and everyone's name and information is listed as specified
  • An unexpired Washington driver license
  • Bill of sale must include sale price
  • Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest
    • If the title is lost, the seller must complete an Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest and sign it in front of a notary public, county auditor, or licensing agent
    • Everyone listed on the vehicle record must sign the affidavit
  • Emissions testing report

    Emissions testing is required in the following WA counties:

    • Clark County
    • King County
    • Pierce County
    • Snohomish County
    • Spokane County
  • Vehicle Title Application
  • Odometer Disclosure Statement If the vehicle is less than 10 years old, both the buyer and seller must write the mileage and sign on the title or the Odometer Disclosure Statement.

You may also mail the above documents. All registered owners must sign the application, and it must be notarized: Vehicle Certificate of Ownership Application.