Washington Salvage Title

An auto involved in an accident in the state of Washington becomes a salvage vehicle if the damage estimate is 100 percent of its value to completely repair or replace it. This will result in the issuance of a Washington Salvage Certificate for the vehicle. It becomes a salvage vehicle and can't be driven on the highways or have a valid license plate. If the vehicle is restored, it has to be inspected before a Rebuilt Title will be issued. A rebuilt vehicle with a WA Salvage Rebuilt Title can be driven on the highways.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Application assistance services can simplify the process for many DOL related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DOL in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DOL.

3: Via a DOL office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local DOL office. Varying DOL offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DOL closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your DOL allows you to make a personal appointment.

Washington Salvage Title

In the state of Washington, insurance companies have the authority to declare a vehicle a total loss if your automobile is in an accident. If your insurance company takes possession of the vehicle, they are required to apply for a Salvage Title. If you as the owner retain possession, you will have to acquire a Washington Salvage Title. Please note that you cannot drive your vehicle on any Washington roadway until it is titled.

Washington Salvage Vehicle Title

If you remain the owner of the salvaged vehicle, you will receive your Washington Salvage Title by mail once your insurance company has declared the vehicle a total loss and filed all the mandatory paperwork.

The Washington Department of Licensing (DOL) provides extensive information on salvage vehicles. To learn more, go to http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/salvaged.html.

Washington Salvage Vehicle Title to Rebuilt Vehicle Title

You may file for a vehicle title branded as Salvage Rebuilt once your vehicle has been repaired to roadworthy condition. It must also pass a salvage inspection conducted by the Washington State Patrol. Request a Salvage Rebuilt title at your local Washington Department of Licensing (DOL) location.

To download the vehicle application, click here. To schedule an appointment for salvage inspection, or to learn more about the inspection process, click here.

Title an Abandoned Vehicle in Washington

An abandoned vehicle title in Washington can be claimed by anyone as long as the owner does not come forward to claim it. To claim an abandoned vehicle and title it, you must first contact your local Washington law enforcement agency, give them the location of the vehicle and fill out an Abandoned Vehicle Form.

If authorities investigate and the owner is not located, they will contact you. At that point you may take your completed Abandoned Vehicle Form to your local WA DOL branch and apply for a WA Motor Vehicle Title. For more information, contact WA local authorities or the DOL.