Obtaining Your Washington Temporary Permit

Once you have completed your drivers education course, you will be ready to apply for your Washington learner's permit.

Before you get your full license in Washington, you’ll need to get a learners permit. This allows you to practice driving a car, but isn't considered a full license. A learners permit requires you to have a licensed driver with you in the passenger seat who is over the age of 21. Click here for more information and to receive a customized checklist and application.

Required Documents
In general, you’ll need the follwing documents for changing an address on a Washington drivers license:

  • Social Security number
  • Proof of identity
  • Proof of residence

This link will help you find out all the documents that are acceptable for getting a learner’s permit in Washington.


If you’re enrolled in a drivers education class, you can get a learners permit when you’re 15 years old. Make sure you:

  • Apply for the permit 10 days or less before the class starts and bring a completed waiver from your driving school. The waiver allows you to apply for your permit without taking the knowledge test first.
  • If you aren’t enrolled in a drivers education class, you can get an instruction permit at 15½ or older, but first you need to pass the knowledge test.
  • Pass a vision screening
  • Pass the knowledge test if you don’t have a waiver
  • Pay the $25 application fee

You may pre-apply online before you go for your permit here:  http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/preapply.html

This will save you time at the DOL office so you can get your learner’s permit quickly. Just remember that you can’t treat the learner’s permit as a full license it is for training purposes only to prepare you for the full driver's exam.

Find out more about drivers education in Washington here.