Change of Name on Washington Car Registration

Have you recently gotten married, divorced, or had to change your legal name? The Washington DOL recommends that you change the name on your WA car registration as soon as possible. Select from the options below to get started.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Application assistance services can simplify the process for many DOL related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DOL in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DOL.

3: Via a DOL office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local DOL office. Varying DOL offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DOL closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your DOL allows you to make a personal appointment.

Name Change On Washington Car Registration

To change the name on your vehicle registration, you must first change the name on your driver's license.

Once you have officially changed you name, visit your local DOL office and bring the following:

  1. Payment for the fee
  2. Proof of identity:
    • A stand-alone document with your new name on it
    • One of the following documents:
      • Marriage certificate or license (original, filed copy)
      • Court order (filed and certified by the court)
      • Divorce decree (filed and certified by the court)
      • Original birth certificate
      • Other court or legal actions filed and/or registered with the responsible governmental agency of the recording country, province, state, county or city

Then, you may return with your updated driver's license with the following:

You may submit them in person at your local DOL office, or by mail:

Refunds and Title Services
Department of Licensing
P.O. Box 9909
Olympia, WA 98507-8500