Obtain An Identification Card In Washington

Do you need to apply for a state ID in Washington? The ID card application doesn't have to be complicated. We've collected helpful information to assist you with everything you need to know about getting an ID card and renewing an ID card. You will also learn how to replace your ID card in Washington or purchase a duplicate Washington ID card. Select from the options below to get started:

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Application assistance services can simplify the process for many DOL related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DOL in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DOL.

3: Via a DOL office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local DOL office. Varying DOL offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DOL closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your DOL allows you to make a personal appointment.

Regardless of why you do not own a driver's license, you will still need to apply for an ID card for various reasons, ranging from leisure activities to travel. Getting an ID card in Washington is simple, and you should begin the ID card application process as soon as you are ready.

Obtaining a new ID card

To apply for an ID, first, you should plan a visit to your local driver's license office.


In Washington, an identification card costs $45. You may pay with cash, check, credit or debit cards. Please be advised that you will be charged a vendor fee for all credit card transactions. Also note that DOL offices in Coulee Dam, Davenport, Friday Harbor, Forks, Goldendale, Newport, Republic and South Bend locations do not accept credit or debit cards at all.


Before you visit the Washington DOL, you should pre-apply for an ID card to save time. On your visit, you will need:

  • U.S. passport
  • Social Security card
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Tribal Enrollment ID card
  • Valid foreign passport with valid U.S. immigration document

You will also need additional documents to prove your identity and residency in the state of Washington. For a list of these documents, click here.

What is a Washington state ID?

A state ID is an acceptable replacement for a drivers license typically used by minors, the elderly or by anyone who does not want a drivers license, but still needs identification in Kansas. For more information on how to get an identification card in Washington, click here.

How can I obtain an enhanced ID card?

In the state of Washington, residents are able to apply for a $60 enhanced ID card, which allows you entry back into the U.S. instead of a passport. Learn more about enhanced ID cards in Washington, and what you will need to bring to your local DOL to purchase one.

ID card renewal

Your ID card is valid for five years. You can renew your Washington ID card at your local DOL Service Center. For other options and information on ID card renewal in Washington, click here.

Replacement ID cards

If you have lost your ID card, or it has been stolen or severely damaged, you should look into replacing it immediately. A stolen ID card may even lead to identity theft, so it is crucial you replace your identification card as soon as possible. A replacement ID card in Washington costs $20 (please keep in mind vendor fees for credit card purchases, and areas where credit card payments are not acceptable, as stated above). Instructions for getting a duplicate ID cards are similar, but be sure to bring everything you will need for your new ID card copy before you head to the DOL by clicking here.

For more information, call 360-902-3900 - TTY users, please call 360-664-0116, or go to: http://www.dol.wa.gov/contact.html?footer

For a list of related services, see below:

Obtain a new driver's license here.
Renew a driver's license here.
Replace a driver's license here.